- Alyssum Wonderland Uses:Beds, borders, container and color bowls
- Exposure:Sun – Partial shade
- Garden height:3″ / 7 cm
- Crop time:8-10 weeks
- Sowing method:5-6 seeds or 1 mulitpellet per plug
- Germination*:2-4 days: Do not cover seed as light aids germination.
Maintain uniform, but not overly wet moisture levels. Dampen soil well before placing into germination chamber when using multi-pelleted seed. Use a well-drained medium as Alyssum can be susceptible to damping off. Maintain temperatures of 75-80 °F (24-27 °C) and relative humidity levels of 95 %.
- Growing On:Alyssum prefers cool finishing temperatures. Maintain 50-55 °F (10-13 °C) night temperatures and 55-60 °F (13-16 °C) day temperatures. Fertilize every other irrigation 150-200 ppm nitrogen in a well-balanced fertilizer.
- Media:Use a well-drained, growing substrate with 20-30 % clay, 1-1,5 kg/m³ complete balanced fertilizer, 0-2 kg/m³ slow release fertilizer (3-6 months), iron-chelate, micronutrients, pH 5.5-6.2
- Temperature:Grow at 13-15 °C (55,5-59 °F) during day time and 10-12 °C (50-54 °F) during night. Temperatures above 16 °C (61 °F) will support stretching of the shoots and an application of growth regulators will become necessary. Lobularia does not tolerate temperatures below -2 °C (28,5 °F).
- Fertilization:Low-moderate fertilization levels are required. Fertilize the crop weekly with 100 -150 ppm nitrogen, using alternating a potassium balanced fertilizer and a calcium nitrat fertilizer (N:K2O-ratio 1:1,5). Avoid high ammonium and high nitrogen levels. To prevent magnesium deficiency apply magnesium sulphate (0,025 %) 1-2 times and in case of iron deficiency (above pH 6.0) apply iron chelate for 1-2 times.
ALYSSUM WONDERLAND GERMINATION STAGES (FROM SEED TO FINISHED YOUNG PLANT)
Stage I Starts with the radicle breaking through the testa. The roots are touching the medium. Ends with fully developed cotyledons.
Stage II Starts from fully developed cotyledons. Ends with the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair.
Stage III Starts from the fully developed true leaf or true leaf pair and ends with 80% of the young plants being marketable.
Stage IV All young plants are ready for sale and in the process of being hardened off. This stage lasts about 7 days.
The cultural recommendations are based on results from trials conducted under Central European conditions. Different conditions in other parts of the world may lead to deviations in results achieved.