STOCK | MATTHIOLA INCANA / SEED
Stock is a long-standing cut flower favorite because of the incredible fragrance and form. Stock requires cool temperatures for optimum flowering and quality but Cheerful is an early flowering series that requires less cooling to initiate flowering. Cheerful is generally one to three weeks earlier flowering than our Mid Cheerful series, depending on temperature. This Cheerful series produces voluminous highly scented blooms about 2 inches across on strong stems with 90% of the plants producing double flowers.
- 90% of the plants produce double flowers without seedling selection for a more cost effective crop
- Extra-early flowering in cool climates
Plug Culture – 4 weeks (288 / 12 x 24 tray)
Stage One (days 1-10) Sow seed into trays filled with a well-drained media at a
pH of 5.8-6.2 and lightly cover with vermiculite. Maintain even moisture and a
soil temperature of 65-68°F/18-20°C. *Selection for double seedlings may be
done between days 8 and 13.
Stage Two (days 11-17) After germination is complete, move seedling trays to a
well-lighted area, up to 2,500 foot-candles/27,000 lux, with good ventilation.
Fertilize lightly with 100 ppm N and grow at a day temperature of 60F/16C and
a night temperature of 55F/13C.
Stage Three ( days 18-25) Fertilize as needed to maintain strong growth and
provide high light and good air circulation.
Stage Four (days 26-30) When the plugs have 4-5 true leaves, transplant to the
bed. Avoid root bound plugs and delayed transplanting.
* Stock Iron produces 55% double flowers without selection. To increase the
percentage of double flowers, use the following procedure.
1. Triple sow a 288-plug tray with Stock Iron seed.
2. 8 days after sowing remove the last to germinate seedling with a tweezers. If
only two seedlings germinate wait until the next step.
3. Around day 9-10 allow the soil to dry slightly. This will make the final selection
easier. Make the final selection around day 14 before the emergence of the first
– The double-flowered seedlings are more vigorous and grow more rapidly.
– Double-flowered seedlings have larger and longer cotyledons with a more
irregular/elliptical shape and a lighter green color.
– Single-flowered seedlings will be shorter, with smaller cotyledons with a more
round/oval shape and darker green color.
There are no reviews yet.